Puerta Vallarta ATM's etc?

Description of your first forum.

Puerta Vallarta ATM's etc?

Post by mar.. » Sun, 30 Nov 1997 04:00:00


Can anybody give me specific information about ATM's in Puerta Vallarta that
would work through Shazam or Cirrus?  I do have a 4 digit PIN and in other
Mexican cities have found that BanaMex ATM's worked fine (though some others
that had Cirrus logos not not) - can you point me to such a creature in PV?

Also - if anybody has specific recommendations for places to eat; or "must do"
activities, we're open.  I have read several trip reports (including the one
mentioned in this group yesterday) and visited some web sites.  Just always
looking for more personal experience!

Thanks -

Barb

 
 
 

Puerta Vallarta ATM's etc?

Post by Ron Whi » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00



> Can anybody give me specific information about ATM's in Puerta Vallarta that
> would work through Shazam or Cirrus?  I do have a 4 digit PIN and in other
> Mexican cities have found that BanaMex ATM's worked fine (though some others
> that had Cirrus logos not not) - can you point me to such a creature in PV?

> Also - if anybody has specific recommendations for places to eat; or "must do"
> activities, we're open.  I have read several trip reports (including the one
> mentioned in this group yesterday) and visited some web sites.  Just always
> looking for more personal experience!

> Thanks -

> Barb

I had no problem at all with the ATM's. I usually used on right where the
Malecon crosses the bridge. Great grilled food at a place beside the Hotel
Yasmin (also a good cheap hotel) the name is Galla or something like that.
Go early for dinner as it is usually pretty busy. Carmen y Pedros taco
stand, usually around the corner from Los Arcos is great, my favourite
beach was La Boca de Tomatlan due to the lack of hawkers-15 min bus ride
south.
 
 
 

Puerta Vallarta ATM's etc?

Post by Dennis Newt » Wed, 03 Dec 1997 04:00:00


Barb:  I just returned 2 months ago from Puerto Vallarta and found ATM
Machines no problemo.  I used my MasterCharge and Visa at the bank
adjacent  to the Playa Del Arco Hotel in Centro.  
One of the places  I'd recommend for food is the Andele, Olas Altas
#425.  George the owner is a nice guy.  I would also recommend the El
Torito which is kind of a sports bar but with very good food. Its at
Ignacio El Vallarta #290. Last one would be the El Toucan Restaurant at
Basilio Badillo #237.
Have a good trip, Dennis

 
 
 

Puerta Vallarta ATM's etc?

Post by Toby » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00


Barb,

Another good thing about the ATMs is you get a way better rate than the
cambios.  For instance, last year I got the cambio rate of 5 pesos to
the Cdn. dollar (what one pays, they all pay although its negotiable)
The ATMs gave me 7.5!

I say one of the things I enjoyed most about PV were the day trips we
took.  Avoid at all costs the Jungle Tour which was a tremendous waste
of time and money - the tour operator availed himself of a busload of
tourists flush with pesos to patronize his friends' stores.

A day trip I took that was lots of fun was Chico's Paradise.  You can
rent a jeep, or hitch on to one of the hotel tours.  But take a
sandwich. Some of our party who stayed at the restaurant said the food
was dreadful AND incredibly expensive.  The restaurant itself is
spectacular! Built in to and of the rocks on many different levels using
natural caverns as open dining rooms.Have a drink there by all means.  

Follow the walk along the river, its just amazing but quite a workout
with some climbing.   (Some one told me they filmed an Arnold
Schwartzennegger movie  there - can't remember the name - probably why
the planet Hollywood has Arnold's terminator outfit on display although
I think that is not the movie)

I think you'll need to have a drink there as you need to go through the
restaurant to get to the river, of course, bring your swim suit.

Also, horse riding in the Sierra Madre was a blast! So rugged.    In
some places, yOu ford rivers where people are washing their clothes and
all outfitters stop at a restaurant in the mountain where they serve the
most amazing salsa I had while there!  

I know you'll have a great time.  The nightlife in town's not bad
either.

 
 
 

Puerta Vallarta ATM's etc?

Post by mus.. » Thu, 04 Dec 1997 04:00:00



> Can anybody give me specific information about ATM's in Puerta Vallarta that
> would work through Shazam or Cirrus?  I do have a 4 digit PIN and in other
> Mexican cities have found that BanaMex ATM's worked fine (though some others
> that had Cirrus logos not not) - can you point me to such a creature in PV?

        There are two ATM booths (glassed in ATM's) on the central plaza right
next to city hall.  It's either Banamex or Bancomer...I forget which one
but you'll see it when you're there.  They're on the Cirrus and Plus
networks and when I used it last month it actually gave me a slightly
better exchange rate than what was posted in the bank lobby next door.
Good thing too because my bank tacked on a $3.00 "International ATM"
charge.

--
-Darryl

Visit Southern California now at http://members.tripod.com/~mysocal !

 
 
 

Puerta Vallarta ATM's etc?

Post by Blon D » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00



writes:

Quote:>Follow the walk along the river, its just amazing but quite a workout
with
>some climbing.   (Some one told me they filmed an Arnold
Schwartzennegger
>movie  there - can't remember the name - probably why

the planet Hollywood
Quote:>has Arnold's terminator outfit on display although

I think that is not the

Quote:>movie)

The movie that was filmed there was Predator.
 
 
 

Puerta Vallarta ATM's etc?

Post by mus.. » Fri, 05 Dec 1997 04:00:00




> writes:

> >Follow the walk along the river, its just amazing but quite a workout
> with
> >some climbing.   (Some one told me they filmed an Arnold
> Schwartzennegger
> >movie  there - can't remember the name - probably why
> the planet Hollywood

> The movie that was filmed there was Predator.

        Actually, it was filmed at El Eden.  You can still see one of the
helicopters they blew up in the parking lot.
--
-Darryl

Visit Southern California now at http://members.tripod.com/~mysocal !