JACK-HOSTAGES in the Philippines. Some thoughts....

Description of your first forum.

JACK-HOSTAGES in the Philippines. Some thoughts....

Post by Jack » Fri, 12 May 2000 04:00:00


It's gone that far! The long soap of the hostage taking by Philippine
Muslim independentists fractures the vision of the grand universal
holiday village like tour operators would like us to sell.
Of course, there is still the sun and deep blue seas we see in
postcards or travel catalogues and folders, but behind the enchanting
and fairy-tale visions, we have the annoying tendency to forget that
there is another world out there. The world with its conflicts, its
convulsions and stakes. In the great picture of far away tourism
accessible today by the alluring low airfares, the tourists that we
are enjoy too often the decors without looking at the actors.
Too bad for the dream but the barbed wire of the great luxury
complexes separating the clients (looking for rest and quietness from
the famished and revolutionary populations), don't guarantee any more
the security of the first nor dissuade the terrorist acts of the
others. The gentle tourist becomes an exchange money, an easy prey, a
victim that moves the world because they send us an unbearable
question:" And if it were us??"
Let's face it, it would be prudent today to take in our luggage,
together with our traditional anti-turista pills, mosquito-repellents
and travel guides, some notions of geo-politics.
No mosquito-net can protect us today from rebels.

Jack

My Paris,daytrips from Paris, Provence, Cote d'Azur, valley of the
Loire, Belgium and Holland posts are open again at
http://www.jack-travel.com WITH pictures and at
http://home.mminternet.com/~nowhere_man

Copyright ?

 
 
 

JACK-HOSTAGES in the Philippines. Some thoughts....

Post by sjoer » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00



> It's gone that far! The long soap of the hostage taking by Philippine
> Muslim independentists fractures the vision of the grand universal
> holiday village like tour operators would like us to sell.
> Of course, there is still the sun and deep blue seas we see in
> postcards or travel catalogues and folders, but behind the enchanting
> and fairy-tale visions, we have the annoying tendency to forget that
> there is another world out there. The world with its conflicts, its
> convulsions and stakes. In the great picture of far away tourism
> accessible today by the alluring low airfares, the tourists that we
> are enjoy too often the decors without looking at the actors.
> Too bad for the dream but the barbed wire of the great luxury
> complexes separating the clients (looking for rest and quietness from
> the famished and revolutionary populations), don't guarantee any more
> the security of the first nor dissuade the terrorist acts of the
> others. The gentle tourist becomes an exchange money, an easy prey, a
> victim that moves the world because they send us an unbearable
> question:" And if it were us??"
> Let's face it, it would be prudent today to take in our luggage,
> together with our traditional anti-turista pills, mosquito-repellents
> and travel guides, some notions of geo-politics.
> No mosquito-net can protect us today from rebels.

True.
This is also the reason that I only travel to places that are normally
safe and where you can walk around alone at night without fear.
Fortunately, most of the world is still in that category. Of course,
something may happen everywhere, but these are acceptable risks.

Sjoerd

 
 
 

JACK-HOSTAGES in the Philippines. Some thoughts....

Post by Marnix Surgeo » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00



> No mosquito-net can protect us today from rebels.

Nor can it protect us from being killed in a car accident in Antwerp, a
plane crash in the States, getting cancer in France,... All very, very
unfortunate events, but they do happen to some people sometimes. Let's
face it, those tourists just ran into a very bad case of bad luck...
Indeed, what if it were us ? Scary thought...but it applies to so many
things... They didn't take an exceptional risk...they went to Malaysia,
a pretty classic tourist place...
Though I agree that every one visiting a foreign country should at least
attempt to get a feel of the local culture and though I strongly dislike
artifically created tourist paradises, I do not agree with the tone of
your message which implies that travel to mildly remote places is
becoming more and more dangerous... There is ALWAYS a chance of
something bad happening ANYWHERE you go.
I feel very sorry for those hostages and have all the sympathy in the
world for them, but let's not use them to scare people away form
extraordinary cultural experiences.

M

 
 
 

JACK-HOSTAGES in the Philippines. Some thoughts....

Post by Marnix Surgeo » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00



> True.
> This is also the reason that I only travel to places that are normally
> safe and where you can walk around alone at night without fear.
> Fortunately, most of the world is still in that category. Of course,
> something may happen everywhere, but these are acceptable risks.

I generally feel the same way, but I have a strong impression that I
wouldn't have had a problem to go to the same place these guys went, nor
would I have seen it as an exceptional risk. It's just a case of very,
very bad luck... Acceptable risks are bount to go wrong sometimes...very
rarely...but still sometimes...

M

 
 
 

JACK-HOSTAGES in the Philippines. Some thoughts....

Post by Jack » Sat, 13 May 2000 04:00:00


On Fri, 12 May 2000 12:00:36 +0200, Marnix Surgeon



>> No mosquito-net can protect us today from rebels.

>Nor can it protect us from being killed in a car accident in Antwerp, a
>plane crash in the States, getting cancer in France,... All very, very
>unfortunate events, but they do happen to some people sometimes. Let's
>face it, those tourists just ran into a very bad case of bad luck...
>Indeed, what if it were us ? Scary thought...but it applies to so many
>things... They didn't take an exceptional risk...they went to Malaysia,
>a pretty classic tourist place...
>Though I agree that every one visiting a foreign country should at least
>attempt to get a feel of the local culture and though I strongly dislike
>artifically created tourist paradises, I do not agree with the tone of
>your message which implies that travel to mildly remote places is
>becoming more and more dangerous...

I didn't write that essay to make people agree with my ideas about the
question. We live in a democracy. And what I imply is your
interpretation, which is also your privilege. But what I really imply,
I'm the only one to know that and I'm not sure that i know myself what
I imply ;-). But what is sure , is that I never tried to discourage
people to travel to remote places....Just gave my piece of thoughts.
I wish more posters would give their feelings about world events
'related to vacation or travel).

Jack

My Paris,daytrips from Paris, Provence, Cote d'Azur, valley of the
Loire, Belgium and Holland posts are open again at
http://www.jack-travel.com WITH pictures and at
http://home.mminternet.com/~nowhere_man

Copyright ?

There is ALWAYS a chance of

- Show quoted text -

Quote:>something bad happening ANYWHERE you go.
>I feel very sorry for those hostages and have all the sympathy in the
>world for them, but let's not use them to scare people away form
>extraordinary cultural experiences.

>M