Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Description of your first forum.

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Rallystu » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 07:30:37


http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2601113.stm
is this true ? return to purchase place may be hard while touring !

part of BBC  story......
Germans are also among the world's most
               eager recyclers and already pay deposits for
               many glass and plastic bottles.

               The new charge on non-reusable cans and
               bottles - 25 euro cents for small and 50 euro
               cents for larger containers - is being
               introduced because recycling has fallen below
               the 72% minimum level set in 1997.

               The new deposit will cover cans of beer,
               mineral water and soft drinks but not wine
               bottles

 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Jens Arne Maenni » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 07:58:08



>http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/business/2601113.stm
>is this true ? return to purchase place may be hard while touring !

However, there's no law in Germany that you have to drink from cans.
There are lots of different beverage containers available - and
currently it looks that most of the canned drinks will not be sold
anymore due to the lack of a recycling system for them.

The beverage industriy and the trade organizations have been knowing
about that law since 1991 (!) however they thought that it would never
really happen.  It's too funny to see them in total chaos now, a
couple of days before it finally will happen anyway, as there
political lobbying didn't work as well as usual.

Too good to see that we are not just governed by economical and
financial interests but sometimes still by a little bit of ecological
common sense.

Jens

PS: It's safe to drink tab water - and beer from kegs, containers and
widely accepted returnable glass bottles, of course.

 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Rallystu » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 08:02:59


where do I buy a keg of Diet Pepsi ? (Pepsi lite)
 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Rallystu » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 16:11:13


he said.....Too good to see that we are not just governed by economical and
financial interests but sometimes still by a little bit of ecological
common sense.
,,,,,,

This is not ecology, its money, if they really cared the deposit could be
refunded ANYWHERE in Germany, not just where you bought it ,
and 25 cents added to a 35 cent can of Pepsi does seem a bit high !

I do not see this law  having a long life......

 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Jens Arne Maenni » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 18:46:05


Rallystuff schrieb:

Quote:>where do I buy a keg of Diet Pepsi ? (Pepsi lite)

At any German Pepsi licensee, depending where in Germany you are.
They are listed on http://www.pepsi-cola-bottler.de/vertr/vertr.htm.
There are 20 liter KEGs available as premix or postmix.

Jens

 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Jens Arne Maenni » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 18:36:49



>IMHO it wouldn't hurt if economical interests would play a bigger role now
>and then.

I'd like to remind you tht the according law (Verpackungsverordnung)
was a product of the Helmut Kohl's conservative government.  IIRC this
government was not too anti-economically oriented :-)

Jens

 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Jens Arne Maenni » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 18:51:35


Rallystuff schrieb:

Quote:>This is not ecology, its money, if they really cared the deposit could be
>refunded ANYWHERE in Germany, not just where you bought it ,

Exactly right.  That's what I say: They didn't care.

Quote:>and 25 cents added to a 35 cent can of Pepsi does seem a bit high !

For me, 2 cents for a can of diet Pepsi wouldn't be cheap enough to
buy it :-)

However, if you need your Pepsi, there are still the 0.2 liter, 0.33
liter, 0.5 liter, 1 liter and 1.5 liter returnable, widely (i. e. at
any Pepsi POS) accepted bottles available.

Quote:>I do not see this law  having a long life......

It's now 11 years old.

Jens

 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Jens Arne Maenni » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 20:49:42



>Politicians in general don't know much about economics.

... but often lots about economical lobbyists.

Merry Christmas.

Jens

 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by David Gasco » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 02:11:16



> he said.....Too good to see that we are not just governed by economical and
> financial interests but sometimes still by a little bit of ecological
> common sense.
> ,,,,,,

> This is not ecology, its money, if they really cared the deposit could be
> refunded ANYWHERE in Germany, not just where you bought it ,
> and 25 cents added to a 35 cent can of Pepsi does seem a bit high !

> I do not see this law  having a long life......

You mean you have to take the cans back to the SAME STORE? I'm all for
high deposits as an environmental incentive, but that seems a bit
ridiculous.
 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Rallystu » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 04:00:09


if I read it right, yes the same store !

yes it is 11 year old law that most people never knew about....
but when it is Euros out of their pockets thats when the voices are raised !

yes I can buy plastic bottles of Pepsi  at a much lower deposit ( no logic on
this)

I still do not see this lasting long in its present form......

 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Owai » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 04:24:43


Jens Arne Maennig wrote

Quote:> Rallystuff schrieb:
> >This is not ecology, its money, if they really cared the deposit could be
> >refunded ANYWHERE in Germany, not just where you bought it ,
> Exactly right.  That's what I say: They didn't care.

Unless we're talking about sales in pubs and restaurants where the
product is consumed on the premises, I don't see how anyone can prove
they did or didn't buy a can in a particular shop - especially as so
few shops use sticky price labels now that bar-code scanning is almost
universal.

I often pick up discarded bottles on which a deposit has been paid and
have several GBP's worth under the sink for eventual conversion into
takeaway food. Ten bottles converts into a black pudding supper. I
don't quite have the effrontery to ask for *cash* back for the
bottles, but I've never had a problem getting food even though I never
buy bottled drinks from the chip shop.

Owain

 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Jens Arne Maenni » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 05:57:37



>if I read it right, yes the same store !

Theoretically.  As I pointed out, most shops have stopped selling
cans, therefore there will be nothing to take back.

Quote:>yes I can buy plastic bottles of Pepsi  at a much lower deposit ( no logic on
>this)

There are dozends of theories about higher or lower pollution by
aluminum cans/galvanized steel cans/plastic bottels.  To me, it seems
to be a religious question, not a scientific one.

The German government (and their predecessors) obviously don't seem to
believe in cans, that ar kind of an idol in other places.

Jens

 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by Rallystu » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 08:34:51


Quote:he wrote....

The German government (and their predecessors) obviously don't seem to
believe in cans, that ar kind of an idol in other places.

I like cans, but can live without them and buy plastic soda   bottles

But Beer drinkers have either to pay this extra deposit or buy glass bottles
which we all know breaks (normal with drunks at 2am)
I do not think there is plastic beer bottles.

Wonder if German customs will have a smuggling problem with "can" importers....

 
 
 

Germany starting 25cent deposit on cans ?

Post by I. Wilson Gittleman, M. » Thu, 26 Dec 2002 18:26:01


When I lived in Vienna a few years ago, the charge was 50c.
In CA, where I live now, it is 5c.

Where do you think I recycled
 and where not?

"It  doesn't matter what you do in the bedroom as long as you don't do
it in the street and frighten the horses".
     -- Mrs. Patrick Campbell (English actress)